Saturday, February 20, 2010

The times, they are a-changing

Where to begin? Shana’s visit really ushered in a whole new “normal” here.

Change #1: We are now a one-tortoise family. We arrived from picking up Shana at the airport in Kenya to find Clare, the first tortoise and the one that laid the eggs, dead in our backyard. For a couple days she’d been doing some serious hibernating, first on our porch and then on the edge of the tortoise pond. We try to let the tortoises do their own thing and so we’re not exactly sure when she died but she was pretty stiff (hence, the tortoise rigor mortis reference in the last post). I’m a little nervous now about caring for Morty, though he’s always been more active and at least once a week will eat up a storm on whatever grassy weeds are growing in the yard. If only there were a tortoise whisperer (or veterinarian!) in town to assure us that we’re not being bad tortoise tenders…

Change #2: The rains have come. Today marks the third rain in four days, turning this dusty town into a gooey mud bowl. Seriously, I have never experienced mud this sticky. The clumping of mud on your shoes is like walking around with 10-pounds on each foot. Since this mud is a sure way to kill a pair of flipflops (and makes for lots of dirt under your toenails) I’ve taken to wearing big rubber boots around—quite a fashion statement, I know. On the positive side, the rain thankfully has brought some relief from the heat and hopefully will keep the dust down in the house for a while.

Change #3: I am once again gainfully employed. Earlier this week, I started a job with an NGO organizing and overseeing emergency food distribution to 10,000 people living around Kapoeta. The rains never came last year, and so people have been running out of food. Today, I went to a boma (village) and found the grain stores empty; people have been eating these bitter almond-size fruits (like the ones on our Christmas tree) and tree leaves. It’s very sad. Most of this week I’ve been trying to pull together lists of people to receive the food, which included lots of meetings with government people and even a meeting with all of the local chiefs. [During this meeting, one of the chiefs indicated that he hoped after the program, his people would look “as healthy” as me. While at first I was appalled and embarrassed, I decided it better to take it as a sign of how lovely it is to be in a place where big is beautiful.] In the coming weeks, I need to hire myself a staff and work on putting together a system for efficiently and transparently distributing 970 metric tons (that’s 970,000 kg or about 2 million pounds!) of food. Needless to say, this food distribution job means that Francis and I won’t be having quite the gourmet meals we’ve become accustomed to while I’ve been playing housewife. But really, when you see people starving, even coming home to a peanut butter sandwich feels like a luxury.

3 comments:

  1. sorry about the loss of one of your turtles. glad to hear you have a job. sounds like a huge challenge - what does NGO stand for? at least you get to hire yourself a staff!! on season in california turning el nino our yard and driveway was soooo nasty. i would get out of the car and my feet would sink down like quicksand but even uglier. we had to scramble around for rocks to help secure our unpaved driveway - what a hideous year that was. you have your boots so you are all set! you are very right about the pb sandwich & you have had a chance for a while to eat prepared meals now back to the working for a living life. miss you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your internet connection sucks, but maybe an email with a picture of the rain and mud, b/c I just can't even imagine rain in that place!!! Pictures of the rushing rivers maybe?
    Maybe Kapoeta will pay for me to come back...like I'm the massiah (sp?) maybe?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!!! Congrats on the job that is so cool. Also I liked the pictures of your place. It actually looks pretty nice! :) IKEA furniture and all!

    ReplyDelete